Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Too Cute to Die

Have you ever seen one of these?


It’s a silky anteater and it lives in Central and South American rainforests. Kind of looks like it came from the Jim Henson Creature Shop, right?


Not surprisingly, I have an indescribable urge to pick it up. It looks like it wants to be picked up, right?

Look at it! Like a baby – arms extended upward, stretching up to your outreached hands…go on, you can pick it up!

WAIT! That stance is actually its defensive pose. Baffled? Me too. How can a defensive pose be effective when it is that cute?

I guess I don’t want to kill it, but I imagine a predator wouldn’t think twice about its dinner’s cuteness…It’s like he’s saying, “Don’t bite, scratch or maim me. I am too cute for violence!”

I guess silky anteaters just hope for the best because the adorably veiled threat of it slashing those tiny claws at me is in no way a deterrent.

So silky anteater, besides being a jaguar’s amuse-bouche, this last-ditch plea to live is not menacing or evasive and does not help you to blend in with your environment; it’s just mind-bogglingly cute. That’s why you’re my favorite animal.




Photo 1 Credit: I “borrowed” this photo from: http://www.ezzal.com/4004/blog/pictures/10-most-beautiful-creatures-ever.html but I don’t know where they go it.

Photo 2 Credit: http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/21/2143/JDBCD00Z.jpg



 

No comments:

Post a Comment